Hooray it’s official, it’s SUMMER! Peaches are in season. I use to think peaches were just for desserts – think Peach Blueberry Buckle. But since living in the peach state, I do mean Georgia here (South Carolina and California have their fair share of amazing tasting peaches too), I have expanded by peach horizons and serve up peaches in a number of different ways. Starting with this peach mixed green salad with burrata, cumin, and almonds. The sweet juicy peaches play a nice contrast to the bitter radicchio and arugula in the salad mix, burrata cheese is like mozzarella on the outside, but creamy on the inside, it adds that element of creaminess, almond slivers some crunch, and torn mint leaves a hint of freshness. All these summer flavors are topped with a savory cumin seed dressing. This salad can be your light summer meal or it makes for the perfect side to grilled chicken or beef.
I paired this salad with the Arínzano Granvino Chardonnay, see tasting notes here. The fresh acidity, spiciness from the oak, and rich mouth feel of the wine paired nicely with the salad. A lighter oaked Chardonnay from a cool region in California would also make a nice pairing.
Summer just started and peach season goes for a while especially here in Georgia. I plan to share more peach recipes like “Drunken Peaches with Lavender” and Grilled Spiced Rubbed Chicken with Pickled Peaches. Let me know your favorite peach recipes and if you pair them any wines. In the meantime, enjoy summer and cheers to peaches!
Enjoy peach season with this summer salad bursting with flavor.
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large just ripe peaches
- 1 lb burrata cheese can substitute fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 lb green salad mix I like a mix with some bitter greens like raddichio and arugula
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Toast the cumin seeds in a small sauté pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until slightly toasted (watch carefully). Pound half of the toasted cumin seeds to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle.
2. Transfer the cumin powder and cumin seeds to a bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice. Whisk in the extra virgin olive oil. Taste and adjust for seasoning if needed. Set aside.
3. Cut the peaches into 1/2 inch wedges. Cut the burrata into six slices and then in half.
4. In a large bowl, toss the peach wedges and sliced shallots with the dressing. Gently toss in the mixed salad greens. Top salad with burrata slices, slivered almonds and torn mint leaves. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.