- 2 pints 4 cups strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 oz. semisweet chocolate bar (I used Scharffen Berger)
- 1/4 cup toasted almond slices
- In a medium saucepan combine 1 1/2 pints strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and almond extract. Heat over high heat and bring to a boil, cooking until the strawberries are soft about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the strawberry mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth. Pour mixture into a small sauce pan and keep warm over low heat.
- In a small bowl pour 1/4 cup cold water and stir in gelatin. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the gelatin mixture with the warm strawberry puree and stir until the gelatin is completely mixed and melted. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks. Gently fold the strawberry puree into the whipped cream. Spoon the mousse into small serving bowls. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- To serve, make the chocolate curls using a vegetable peeler and sprinkle the chocolate curls on the mousse along with almond slices and remaining strawberries.