Chicken Breasts in a Tart Cherry Pinot Noir Sauce #WinePW #OTBN
A balance of savory earthy flavors with notes of cherries makes for a beautiful pairing with Balletto Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Kosher sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 shallots, peeled and halved
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, destemmed and halved or quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 and 3/4 cups Pinot Noir
- 1 and 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 sprigs thyme, tied together in a bundle + extra leaves for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken breasts and sauté for about 5 minutes total or until they are golden on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the shallots and shiitake mushrooms to the frying pan and sauté over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and continue to sauté for about 1 minute. Add the 1 and 3/4 cups Pinot Noir to the pan and increase heat to high. Cook stirring until reduced about 7 minutes. Add the chicken broth and thyme bundle and return to a boil.
Add the chicken breasts back to the pan along with the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and dried tart cherries. Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken breasts. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover pan. Cook for about 20 minutes. Remove cover and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes or until chicken breasts are cooked (internal temperature 160 degrees F)
Serve over farro and garnish with thyme leaves.