Arugula Salad with Tomatoes, Chickpeas, and Quinoa
A healthy, vegetarian salad for either lunch or dinner to enjoy the seasonal tomato harvest at its best.
- 1 lemon, grated zest plus 2 tablespoons of juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- coarse kosher sea salt
- red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 scallions, white and light green part only, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes, mixed colors, halved
- 4 cups arugula, torn into 1-inch pieces
- nonvegetarian option to add sliced chicken breast, salmon, or shrimp
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, oil, and parsley, salt and pepper. Add the chickpeas and mix. Let stand for at least 15-30 minutes.
In a large wide salad bowl, combine the almonds, quinoa, scallions, tomatoes, and arugula. Gently mix. Add the chickpeas with the marinade and gently toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and serve.