Roasted Citrus Stuffed Rainbow Trout with Fennel Slaw
A flavorful dish that is easy to prepare. Pair with a Greek white wine like Assyrtiko or Sauvignon Blanc.
For the fennel slaw
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 10 fresh mint leaves, torn into pieces
For the rainbow trout
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 12 oz. rainbow trout, cleaned, de-boned, and butterflied
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 orange, very thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
To make the fennel slaw
Cut the fennel fronds off and set them aside. Use a mandoline, very thinly cut the fennel bulb into slices.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, shallot, oil, salt and pepper. Add the fennel slices and mint, toss to mix. Set aside for an hour.
To make the rainbow trout
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil.
Rinse the trout and pat dry with paper towels.
Place the fish on the prepared baking sheet. Season the cavity with salt and pepper. Alternating two slices of lemon with 2 slices of orange in the trout cavity. Add a few fronds of fennel on top of the citrus slices. Place a few slices of lemon over the top of each fish and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes.
Turn the oven to broil and broil for about 2 minutes or until fish has a hint of a golden color.
Transfer the fish to a platter and top with the fennel slaw and lemon wedges.