I have salad goals! I try to have a salad every day. How do I keep this from getting boring? I shop at my local farmer’s market and feast my eyes on all the beautiful seasonal produce. The freshness, colors, and smells of the market inspire my salad creations. The offerings continuously change with the seasons, and new salad ideas come with those changes. Arugula Cherry Farro Salad, this is your motivation to toss up a salad, because it’s cherry season! Every year when cherry season rolls around, this salad happily returns to my plate. I’ve made it many times with different variations, but this is my favorite.
Arugula Cherry Farro Salad Variations
Cherries – Just because it’s cherry season doesn’t mean cherries grow in every state, mine included, sadly. I get a local farmer’s market home delivery (Fresh Harvest Georgia) that sources produce, especially fruit, from select farms. Recently “Hazel Cherries,” a variety I hadn’t heard of, was available for purchase. But you could swap out the cherries for peaches, apricots, or pears.
Farro – Adding grain to your salad makes it more filling and like a main meal. Change it up and try quinoa or bulgur.
Arugula – If you are not a fan of arugula, substitute mixed field greens or baby spinach
Goat Cheese – I get my goat cheese from Decimal Place Farm at my farmer’s market (Freedom Farmers Market). They craft a fresh fennel lavender goat cheese that is my favorite for the arugula cherry farro salad. But if I don’t have this cheese on hand, I use shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino.
Fennel – Why not try thinly sliced red onions or chopped celery.
Almonds – I think cherries and almonds have an excellent flavor affinity, but hazelnuts or pecans would also work nicely.
Prosciutto – Serrano ham is also delicious or not a meat-eater; leave it out.
Are you inspired and motivated to toss up an Arugula Cherry Farro Salad or a variation? Why not visit your local farmer’s market and share the seasonal salads you create. Just an FYI, the produce is so good from my farmer’s market that sometimes no cooking or “creating” is needed, just eating and savoring the freshness.
Arugula Cherry Farro Salad
- 1 cup farro, cooked
- 6 cups arugula leaves, lightly packed
- 2 cups bing cherries, pitted use a cherry pitter
- 1-2 oz. raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fennel, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup small fresh mint leaves
- 6 slices prosciutto ham
- 1/2 cup fresh goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small jar combine all the vinaigrette ingredients. Shake the jar until emulsified or whisk ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large flat bottom bowl, add the arugula, almonds, cherries, farro, fennel, and mint. Lightly drizzle a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette over the salad and gently toss.
- Plate the salad on 6 individual salad plates and top each with prosciutto and goat cheese crumbles. Add more vinaigrette as needed at the table.