I do not need an excuse to enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day. Actually, the warmer longer days of soon to be summer have me plotting my “happy hours” on the deck with more consideration. I mean, if I have a glass of wine, I should enjoy it with a little savory nibble like a feta pistachio dip and fresh bread from La Calavera Bakery, right? This is the time of year when all of my favorite things come together; summertime, being outside, Rosé wine, savory snacks and longer light hours to enjoy it all.
My savory nibble this happy hour is a feta pistachio dip I discovered in a cookbook called Persiana. Initially, I had checked this book out from the library, but after trying out a number of recipes, I knew I had to have it in my personal cookbook library. “Persiana” is bursting with recipes full of Middle Eastern flavors. The feta pistachio dip is everything you want for a happy hour nibble. The dip is loaded with fresh dill and cilantro, pistachios for a crunchy texture, a kick of red pepper, a squeeze of lemon, and a salty balance of feta cheese.
The feta pistachio dip pairs nicely with a 2014 Château de Nages Vieilles Vignes Rosé Costières de Nîmes. A French Rhône Rosé blended with 50% Grenache, 25% Syrah, 15% Mourvedre, and 10% Cinsault. The wine has a nice mineraility presence, good acidity with hints of stone fruit and rosebuds. 14% abv
Cheers to happy hour on the deck. Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest for #WineWednesday while I explore a new wine each week! (Links at the top right of the page)
Feta Pistachio Dip
- 3 1/2 oz. shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup + extra virgin olive oil
- 10 1/2 oz feta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh dill destemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro destemmed, and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove peeled, and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes or to taste
- 3 large tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- In a food processor combine pistachios and extra virgin olive oil. Pulse for 30-40 seconds.
- Scrape down the food processor bowl and add feta, herbs, garlic, red pepper flakes, yogurt, and lemon juice. Pulse until the mixture is nicely combined, add more extra virgin olive if you would like a less thick dip.