It is that time of year when you realize summer will not last forever. While it is only August, I feel an urgency to, quick eat as much summer produce as possible! After all the farmer’s markets and vegetable stands are at their most abundant right now. While the summer cycle of produce is evolving and even my farmers market this morning had spaghetti squash and gasp- other fall squashes, the melons and cucumbers are over flowing the bushel baskets. This Melon, Blueberry, and Cucumber Salad with Ginger Lime Dressing is a refreshing salad as summer is hitting its peak. While many kids are headed back to school and the hint of fall is everywhere, no one will make me give up the last days of summer before it truly is fall.
I adapted this recipe from my latest favorite cookbook, “Simple” By Diana Henry. Henry is a master at creating food with lots of flavor. The Melon, Blueberry, and Cucumber Salad not only has the summer fruit peak flavors, but also a Ginger Lime dressing that adds freshness and even more flavor layers. The cookbook focuses on “simple” – my summer mantra of no fuss cooking during these final days of summer. The recipe can easily be adapted to different melons and fruit or even omitting the cucumber if you are not a fan. I personally love Persian cucumbers and in this salad, they add to that refreshing coolness.
So you can think about fall and even send your kids back to school, but remember it is only August and that means it’s still SUMMER!
Wine Pairing Suggestion – Dry Rosé
Melon, Blueberry, and Cucumber Salad with Ginger Lime Dressing
- 10 oz. watermelon flesh, sliced into bite size triangles (remove any seeds)
- 8 oz. cantaloupe flesh, sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 medium Persian cucumber, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 2 sprigs fresh mint leaves
- 1/2-3/4 cup Greek Feta, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
For the Dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, finely grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small jar, mix all the dressing ingredients together and shake well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the melon, cucumber and blueberries together.
- Drizzle a few tablespoons of the dressing onto the fruit, gently toss. Taste before adding more dressing, adding more dressing to your taste.
- Sprinkle the feta and pistachio nuts over the fruit.