Why not celebrate National Sangria Day with a pitcher of the best Sangria, easy slow cooker chicken tacos, and friends. This time of year can get a little crazy, Sangria is a festive drink made with red wine, fresh fruit, spiked with a little brandy and Cointreau, and topped off with a splash of sparkling water. The fruity characteristics in Sangria make for the perfect pairing with TACOS or really any Mexican spiced foods.
I made my Sangria with a bottle of 2016 Aimé Ruca Malen Red Blend, from Mendoza, Argentina. It is a blend of Malbec, Bonarda, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot. (Suggested retail price $8.99.) The Aimé Ruca Malen Red blend is the perfect wine for Sangria; inexpensive, fruity, and low tannins.
When I think of Sangria, pairing ideas that come to mind are Mexican food, and I was in need of a taco fix. If you haven’t already discovered the blog What’s Gaby Cooking check it out, she is California Cooking and loves tacos. While I have various chicken taco recipes, Gaby’s slow cooker chicken tacos seemed like the perfect recipe for this busy time of year, just add a handful of ingredients into the slower cooker and let it go during the day for an easy chicken taco dinner. Add a glass of Sangria to celebrate National Sangria Day and the joys of the season. Cheers!
Disclaimer: The wine featured in this post was provided as a sample. All opinions expressed are my own.
The Best Red Sangria
- 1 750-ml bottle fruity, low tannin, inexpensive red wine ( I use Aimé Ruca Malen Red Blend)
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup Cointreau
- 1 orange, sliced and cut slices into quarters
- 12 strawberries, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup grapes, cut in half
- 1 apple, cored, sliced and cut into wedges
- 1 pear, cored, sliced and cut into wedges
- sparkling water for topping
- fresh mint for garnish
- In a large pitcher combine; red wine, brandy, Cointreau, and all the fruit. Stir. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve pour Sangria into a glass with a spoonful of fruit, top with a splash of sparkling water. Garnish with a mint sprig.