1/2 teaspoon almond extract
The recipe for these Chocolate Snack Cakes comes to me from David Lebovitz, who got his inspiration from his French neighbor lady and the actual recipe from his friend, Meg Cutts. David Lebovitz is one of many bloggers/cookbook authors that I follow. David is one of my top favorites because: 1. He loves chocolate 2. Has amazing recipes, that WORK 3. Use to work at one of my favorite restaurants, Chez Panisse 4. Is living my dream in Paris and supporting himself with his love of chocolate and food. Yes, I consider David my virtual mentor.
These chocolate-y snack cakes are my kids favorite after school snack. When they hop in the car after school starving to death from a day of mental over load they always ask “did you make anything good?” Their favorite answer I can give is Chocolate Snack Cakes~ even sounds like a French translation.
Kids or no kids, you will fall in love with these Chocolate Snack Cakes!
adapted from “The Sweet Life in Paris” by David Lebovitz
7 oz. Dove Chocolate Discoveries Chef Series Dark Chocolate
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup of Stonyfield French Vanilla Yogurt*
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with jumbo size muffin liners
2. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20 second intervals until completely melted, stirring after each 20 seconds. Gently stir in 1/4 cup of the canola oil, mixing well. Set aside.
3. In a medium size bowl, mix together the remaining 1/4 cup canola oil, yogurt, sugar, eggs and vanilla and almond extract.
4. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Gently pour the yogurt mixture into the center of the flour mixture. Stir gently a few times and then add the melted chocolate. Stir until the mixture is completely combined.
6. Spoon the batter into the muffin liners about 2/3 full. Bake for about 25 minutes, just until set in the middle.
7. Cool completely on a rack.
* I have used low fat yogurt with great success even though most recipes call for whole milk in baking.
These are good the day they are made, but the chocolate flavor is even better the next day. Cakes will keep at room temperature in a sealed container for 4 days.