Lettuce greens at my farmers market are waning in the Georgia July summer heat, but oh the peaches! Peaches made their appearance in Georgia early this year, at the end of May. Ever since, I have been making peach buckles, peach crisps, peach jam (lots of jam) and needed a break from the sweet peach desserts. I really was craving a salad, something lighter with the hot summer days. Also in an Italian kind of mood… mozzarella cheese, toasted pine nuts, arugula, and agrodolce dressing. Angrodolce is a traditional Italian sweet/sour sauce. I discovered an agrodolce dressing in John Ash Cooking One on One. Agrodolce dressing is a nice balance with the sweetness of the peaches and the spicy arugula in the salad mix I used, Trader Joe’s Sorrento salad blend, a baby arugula blend.
Feeling summer light and Italian, my salad would not be complete without an Italian white wine. I indulged myself at Total Wines and just browsed the Italian white wine section. Yes, I read the shelf talkers trying to pick out wine flavors that would complement my salad components. I discovered an Italian white wine grape, Falanghina and a 2014 bottle of Terredora Falanghina. The alcohol was 12.5% – a lighter wine, so I thought a good match for my salad. Wine descriptors included – intense aroma of fruit, good acidity, aged on the lees in stainless steel tanks. The 2014 Terredora Falanghina was a lovely wine pairing for my peach arugula salad and I discovered a new wine. Check out my wine tasting notes for the 2014 Terredora Falanghina.
Peach Salad with Agrodolce Dressing
- 1 - 5 oz bag of Trader Joes Sorrento Salad Blend or one bunch fresh arugula washed
- 1 - 8 oz. ball of fresh mozzarella tear into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup toasted pinenuts
- 2-3 fresh peaches peeled, cored and sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
- Agrodolce Dressing* recipe follows
- Put salad greens into a large salad bowl. Drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons of agrodolce dressing or just enough dressing to lightly coat the greens. Toss gently.
- Divide the salad greens on 4 individual salad plates. Top each salad with peaches, mozzarella, and pinenuts. Drizzle additional agrodolce dressing over each salad if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup full bodied red wine
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Combine the sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Stirring over low heat dissolve the sugar. Increase heat and bring to a boil. DO NOT stir and cook until mixture is a golden color, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and carefully add vinegar and wine - mixture will sputter!
- Return the saucepan to medium heat and add garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and salt. Stir for a few minutes until all the caramel has melted. Remove from heat and let cool. Set aside for at least 3 hours for flavors to develop.
- Whisk in the extra virgin olive oil and lime juice. Can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.